Friday, May 25, 2007

Oh my...it's been a while...

Well hello everyone...
I am glad to say that I have not fallen off the face of the earth, but that I have simply been busy! It's a good thing only because it makes time fly and it allows for amazing experiences to happen. So since 9 days ago, when I wrote my last blog, there are LOADS of things that I got to do and that are worth telling of. I will do my best to break things up and to make it interesting, cutting the details down to what is important and to use pictures seeing as an image is worth 1000 words. Some of you might know that doing all is VERY hard for me, so hold on tight....here we go!!

So the day after I last wrote was a holiday here in Burkina. Ascension! In that honour, there was nothing open, including the pre-school I help at. I got a day off in my first week of work...how great is that? I was very glad to have been able to participate in a picnic that was put on by the SIM related churches of the area. It took place in the national park here in Ouaga and gathered people for some food and worship and prayer. All a very good experience...including the million ants that were out because of the rain about a week before that day, and the insane amounts of bats that were flying around...at 8 AM!! How weird!
That Friday, I returned to the pre-school and we finished the testing that the children had to go through. We made sure that all those who had missed a day were present and had a chance to catch up on the tests they hadn't done. I find it interesting that so many children end up skipping school at the age of 5 because there is nothing to hold them back form doing so...It has been a cultural element to get used to.

Pauline and I decided that Saturday was a good day to go downtown to pick up a few things, and to then take a cab to the Artisan village. That cab ride was one of a kind since our cab ran out of gas (we almost had to push) and got a flat tire all within 20 minutes! We finally got there and took a few hours to look at all the beautiful things that all the Burkinabe artisans make. I figured out what I will be getting in terms of souvenirs and I was simply amazed at the things that can be made from the limited resources that some people had! I will definitely have to go back there soon, but apparently not before I go to the leather factory! (that should be a very interesting adventure.)

This past Sunday, I chose to go to one of the churches that had put the picnic together, the SIM Zogona church. It is the one in our neighbourhood. Now...I have a most important comment about Northwest African churches...They are NOT what we think they are. The international church mentioned in an other blog has obviously been very westernized. I went into this neighbourhood church expecting a very lively, impressively gifted in singing, and music playing church. What I found was nothing different than any of the churches at home, except with a majority of black people instead of the opposite! The service was very good even considering the length and as a guest, I was so lucky as to stand in front of the whole congregation and shake everyone's hand!!...it was nice to see the welcome that they give to new comers!
This Monday, I came to the school completely unaware of what we were supposed to be doing with the kids for the week. I was then announced that we are to use the next 2 weeks to put together a presentation for the parents on Friday, June 1st. I will make sure to let you know how 2 weeks of prep does for that!... the children were all very excited to not be tested, and were full of energy; what a tough crowd!
A new STA come in for the next 6 weeks. Rebekah Daniel is studying linguistics and is here to study and analyse Maure, which is great because I can learn a bit from what she is learning...and teaching it helps her remember it!I also got to talk to Dan on Skype and, although his microphone wasn't working for most of the conversation, it totally made my day to hear his voice for even a short while.
On Tuesday, Silvie, the teacher who has most, if not all, of the authority over the children was not there because she had to write an important exam. As a result, Elisabeth and I scrambled to get the children to stay focussed for anything and everything. I had prepared double-sided pages for them to colour and I think that might actually have saved us. I can honestly say that it was the toughest day of work there. Despite that, Tuesday was a good day and I felt it was very productive. ESL went incredibly well. So well that I could not finish what I had planned because the class was discussing in depth on every topic! For a conversational English class, they sure converse! :)
Wednesday was a pretty normal day, but I was just amazed at the fact that Silvie really is the only person that the kids listen to. They were angels since she came back! We did our best to play some games of red-light/green-light and to keep the kids entertained by teaching them the months of the year and days of the week. I was able to have some really good chats with everybody who is down in the guesthouse and with all those who were at the prayer meeting. I really do enjoy those!
Yesterday, Rebekah came to the preschool with me. This means 2 things, 1) I get to say goodbye to the bumpy bike rides and hello to the company for the way there and back, and 2) that it now takes me 3 time as long to get there and that I'm getting a very intense tan! She is loving hanging out with the children, and they are loving having a new foreigner to "explore". We had the children race in the field, sing, dance, and drum on the table (both actions are very natural in them and just happen as soon as someone starts to sing.) I figure that here is a good place to let pictures talk for me. You all finally get to see the kids I've been writing about all this time and at least one of the teachers (Silvie). Enjoy!

ESL was also very interesting since the discussions went on for a really long time and seemed to have everyone's interest! I am really enjoying the members of my class. They make it much easier to teach!! :)

Today was pretty similar to yesterday at the school, and I (obviously) have been catching up with things I put aside during the week! Tonight, the plan is to go see the play/musical Oliver at the ISO because the kids are putting it on and it's bound to be really cute! Hopefully, I will also get to talk to Dan on Skype (and his microphone will hopefully work...)

I therefore bid you all farewell, and I hope that you enjoyed reading this edition of my adventures in Burkina Faso!

Catch you on the flip side!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, Ive caught up a bit on your adventures in Africa, its very ineteresting! how long are u there for?

Anonymous said...

I'm there until the first week of August because I have to get back home for my last year at Redeemer. 3 months is quite short, but i'm trying to fit in as many experiences as possible... :)